A quick look at some fanposts will show you that there are 2 WRs in the late 1st round that people seem to like, Harvin and Nicks. So lets take a look at the two of them.
Percy Harvin Hakeem Nicks
5' 11 1/8'' Height 6' 0 3/4''
192 Weight 212
4.41 40 Time 4.5
9 3/8in Hand Size 10 1/2in
19 Bench Press DNP
IMO, there isn't a big difference between them when you look at these numbers. Not quite 2in difference in height, .1 sec difference in the 40, barley an inch difference in hand size, and 20 lbs difference in weight. All of these seem pretty negligible. Even the highlight reels, there isn't much difference. However, there are a couple of things that stand out to me:
Harvin Highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE-4-bzH9WI
Nicks Highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_aMQ2R7dYQ
- with Harvin's injury history, I thought he would be the type to shy away from hits. Not so. He lowers his sholders and delivers hits at full speed. Most seem so shocked that he hit them, that they forget to tackle him and Harvin just pulls away.
- I will admit that a lot of the Harvin highlights show him taking a hand off or pitch from the QB, but there are quite a bit of him catching the ball and making plays down the field. More consistently than Nicks, Harvin seems to outrun the people on the field.
- Hicks has amazing hands. He looks really good plucking the ball out of the air and getting extra yards after the catch.
- Hicks is tough to bring down too. He tends to get caught from behind (even saw linebackers catching up to and trying to tackle him), but it isn't easy to drop him on the first hit.
- Each guy has a highlight from games against South Carolina, the main difference in the highlights, Harvin takes his to the house in traffic and Hicks gets caught.
I would be happy if either were picked up by the Vikings, but I am going to go with Harvin. Nicks is great, but his tape looks just like Sidney Rice and there is no one on the roster that compares to Harvin. Rice didn't get to play much last year, but he is still young and has shown that he can be a big target and possession WR when healthy. Rice is also 4" taller than Nicks, but again, they seem to have the same abilities and Harvin would add something new.
Harvin or Nicks?
Harvin (54 votes)
Nicks (25 votes)
79 total votes