A question for discussion, here at the DailyNorseman because its been kinda slow these last couple days.
Who is the best player in the NFL?
For me, when I hear that question I can think of about 5 players right off the top of my head, but then I ask myself a few couple things in order to determine who it is.
1. How much better is he than a replacement level player?
2. Is he a Game Changer?
3. Where would his team be without him?
1. Brady is easily the second best quarterback in the league so he stays in the discussion, Rivers is a top 5 Quarterback in my opinion so its hard to keep him in the discussion. And Peterson is the best Runningback in the league so he stays in.
2. With a flick of the wrist a game can be changed like that with Brady, as was proved against the Lions on Thursday, what was a very close game suddenly became 45-24 like that. Rivers, once again I dont know if he's a game changer. Peterson can take it to the house on any given play as we've witnessed so many times.
3. Where would his team be without him? This is where I have to disclude Brady, the Patriots went 10-6 and made the Playoffs with Matt Cassel after Brady was injured in the first game, now of course they're not as good as they were then but still. The Chargers would be a two win team probably without Rivers so thats where he gains points. Adrian Peterson by himself hasn't really translated into any wins this year and thats my knock on him if I have one. without him were at worst a 2-8 team but with him were only 3-7.
This is where I narrowed it down to Manning and Troy.
1. Manning is the Best Quarterback in the League bar none. Troy is the Best Safety in the League.
2. Manning may be the best comeback player in the History of the league. I think he brought the Colts back 8 times last year in the 4th Quarter and we almost saw him do it again last week if not for a high thrown ball.
Polamalu can come up with a pick at any given moment and supports very well in the run game.
3. The Steelers are a playoff contender without him but a Superbowl Contender with him as was shown last year. The Colts are a bottom feeder in the AFC South without Manning but A superbowl contender with him. And thats where Manning seperates himself from my other 4. He makes everyone else better.
-Jacob Tamme was a fourth round pick in the 2008 Draft and he has 31 receptions for 305 yards and a pair of touchdowns this year.
- Pierre Garcon was the 205th Pick of the 2008 Draft and he holds the record for most receptions in an AFC Divisional game with 11, and has 33 receptions for 406 yards.
- Austin Collie was the 127th pick in the 2009 Draft and he has career stats in two years of 110 receptions, 1,238 yards and 13 touchdowns.
- Blair White was an Undrafted pickup by the Colts and is producing for the Colts with 14 receptions for 150 yards and 3 touchdowns.
Now before last year started and I asked you who these guys were could you name any of them? Most likely not, Manning is doing so much with so Little. Thats why I say hes the Best player in the NFL.
What Say You and why?