With all this draft talk (understandably), how about a half-serious dicussion or reactions about Run and Shoot?.. Or some variation of it optimized for the 2011 Vikes. I know, even in half-serious tone, I realize I'm putting my 'X and O's credibility on the line here. Truth is, I'm interested in hearing well-explained reasons for disapproval more than anything.
Besides the more obvious formations and personnel details, (traditionally 4 WRs, single back, no TE) here's what I have heard and known the modernized 'Run and Shoot' offensive approach to be:
- Power running game (single back), especially for Goalline / RedZone
- 2 Near-elite WRs, and 2 very good
Newer twists / elements:
- Mobile QB (more creatively used than just scrambling)
- A pass-catching TE used frequently in the slot (as the 4th receiver in some formations)
Call me crazy, (which you probably already have, by now) but imagine if we picked up a WR in the 2nd round (Benn, D. Thomas, Tate, etc.). With my favorite player (Rice) feeling in April almost like a windfall-probowler, building a 'Run and Shank' roster isn't that many picks away.
- What better to complement a pass-rushing defense, than with an even HIGHER scoring offense?
- The O-line has taken undeniable steps back with their conventional run blocking (compared to '07, '08)
- AP has RB potential in nearly any offense. To me, a 'Run and Shoot' variation is no different.
- People might be asking.. "Weren't we almost running this last year?".. (at least a portion of the time)
To me, that is also up for debate. I just feel drafting another playmaker WR and considering these formations (swapping with Shiancoe half the time) may not be that wacko of an idea. Or it is.. and let me hear it! :)