If you weren't already aware, the Vikings start hosting Mini-camps tomorrow. April 30th - May 2nd is the rookie mini-camp for all the new guys from this past weekend and everyone will meet up June 11th-13th for a full team mini-camp. Also, OTAs will be as follows: May 18th-21st, 24th-27th, June 1st-4th, and 7th-8th. So with camps so close, why not take the first look at the Minnesota Vikings roster for 2010.
Per Vikings.com roster page, the roster is currently broken into 3 groups: Current Roster, Practice Squad, and Unsigned Rookies. Here is how is currently breaks out:
Current Roster (No particular order)
OL FB/RB TE/WR QB Specialists
CB DE DT LB S
Practice Squad (Name, Position) Unsigned Draft Picks (Name, Position)
Chris Clark, OT Everson Griffin, DE
Ian Johnson, RB Chris DeGeare, OG/T
Tremaine Johnson, DT Nate Tripplet, LB
This is how they are broken up on the Vikings.com page. There are some undrafted free agents working out this weekend as well and it remains to be seen which of those guy will be invited to continue with the team through training camp. Even with out these undrafted players, there are already questions that will need answering:
- The Current Roster already has 55 players on it. During the season, 53 players are named to the roster (45 suit up and the rest are considered "in-active" on game days). So even without adding the draft picks from this year, the roster is pretty full.
- Will a veteran, ala Bobby Wade, be jettisoned for the younger talent coming in?
- Based on the Practice Squad rules, a player can't spend more than 2 years on the PS and once they are added to the active starting roster for 9 games, they can't go back. That means guys like Drew Radovich, Erin Henderson, and Darius Reynaud are no longer eligible to remain/go to the PS. Thus, as an early look, these player appear to have to earn a roster spot on the top 53 or be cut/traded during camp.
- If the Vikings only keep 5 CBs, (like last year), who is most likely to be cut/traded: Lito Sheppard or Benny Sapp?
- Who is more expendable: Jeff Dugan, Garret Mills, or both?
- Will the Vikings truly be keeping a roster spot for Rhys Llyod or will he be a camp body to keep Longwell fresh ala Steve Hauschka last year?
I am sure there are plenty more questions and more will come as the camps progress. For now though, with plenty of time before camp, you can play with the roster a bit and decide where to go from there. Should be a great camp/preseason with all the talent on the roster and the new talent trying to break onto in.