The end of the 2011 Daily Norseman Community Mock Draft is drawing nearer to an end, as once again Mock Roger Goodell makes his way to the mock podium, taking the card with him from the mock Chicago Bears to announce the mock pick.
"With the twenty-ninth pick of the 2011 Daily Norseman Community Mock Draft, the Chicago Bears select. . .
Corey Liuget, defensive tackle, Illinois."
Liuget was a landslide winner in this one, collecting over half of all the votes cast. Good get by the Bears to grab a guy that many are regarding as a top 15-20 talent at the 29th pick.
This brings us to everybody's favorite foot fetishist, Rex Ryan and the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets. For the second straight year, the green and white made it to the AFC Championship Game after a couple of road wins, and once again they came up short of the Super Bowl. So what spots do they have to fill in?Like most teams, the Jets could use some help on the offensive line. They've got a couple of great players up front in D'Brickshaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold, but their right tackle spot is iffy, and they could use some help at the guard spots.
The Jets are also potentially looking at a problem at receiver, as both of last year's starters, Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards, are free agents, which would limit the options for Mark Sanchez as he continues to develop.
New York could also use another pass-rusher on the outside so that they don't have to blitz quite so much. They tried this a few years ago, but Vernon Gholston has turned out to be a super duper ultra mega bust, so they may have to go to the DE/OLB well again at this spot.
And, as we all know, in Rex Ryan's defense, you can never have too many cornerbacks. They used a first round pick last season on Boise State's Kyle Wilson, but he lost his nickel job early in the season and has had difficulty adjusting to the speed of the pro game.
So, if you were Rex Ryan and the Jets, which direction would you go in with the 30th pick in the first round?
Picks Thus Far
- Carolina Panthers - Cam Newton, quarterback, Auburn
- Denver Broncos - Patrick Peterson, cornerback, LSU
- Buffalo Bills - Marcell Dareus, defensive tackle, Alabama
- Cincinnati Bengals - Blaine Gabbert, quarterback, Missouri
- Arizona Cardinals - Von Miller, linebacker, Texas A&M
- Cleveland Browns - A.J. Green, wide receiver, Georgia
- San Francisco 49ers - Prince Amukamara, cornerback, Nebraska
- Tennessee Titans - Nick Fairley, defensive tackle, Auburn
- Dallas Cowboys - Tyron Smith, offensive tackle, USC
- Washington Redskins - Julio Jones, wide receiver, Alabama
- Houston Texans - Da'Quan Bowers, defensive end, Clemson
- Minnesota Vikings - Jake Locker, quarterback, Washington
- Detroit Lions - Robert Quinn, defensive end, North Carolina
- St. Louis Rams - Cameron Jordan, defensive end, California
- Miami Dolphins - Mark Ingram, running back, Alabama
- Jacksonville Jaguars - J.J. Watt, defensive end, Wisconsin
- New England Patriots - Aldon Smith, defensive end/outside linebacker, Missouri
- San Diego Chargers - Ryan Kerrigan, defensive end, Purdue
- New York Giants - Mike Pouncey, offensive guard, Florida
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Adrian Clayborn, defensive end, Iowa
- Kansas City Chiefs - Anthony Castonzo, offensive tackle, Boston College
- Indianapolis Colts - Nate Solder, offensive tackle, Colorado
- Philadelphia Eagles - Gabe Carimi, offensive tackle, Wisconsin
- New Orleans Saints - Akeem Ayers, outside linebacker, UCLA
- Seattle Seahawks - Ryan Mallett, quarterback, Arkansas
- Baltimore Ravens - Jimmy Smith, cornerback, Colorado
- Atlanta Falcons - Cameron Heyward, defensive end, Ohio State
- New England Patriots - Derek Sherrod, offensive tackle, Mississippi State
- Chicago Bears - Corey Liuget, defensive tackle, Illinois
With the thirtieth pick in the 2011 Daily Norseman Community Mock Draft, the New York Jets select. . .
Marcus Cannon, G, TCU (17 votes)
Ben Ijalana, G, Villanova (11 votes)
Justin Houston, DE/OLB, Georgia (51 votes)
Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina (7 votes)
Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Arizona (30 votes)
Brandon Harris, CB, Miami (FL) (7 votes)
Aaron Williams, CB, Texas (4 votes)
Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland (25 votes)
Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh (15 votes)
Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami (FL) (9 votes)
Other (specify in comments) (11 votes)
187 total votes