I wanted to do a mock draft that has plenty of trades. What else would I do?
We know that there are 17 free agents and 1 retiring player. There are another 4 players that may be leaving as well due to salary cap reasons.
The free agents are ...
Visanthe Shiancoe 31
E.J. Henderson 31
Erin Henderson 25
Husain Abdullah 26
Tyrell Johnson 26
Scott Kooistra 31
Fred Evans 28
Letroy Guion 24
Sage Rosenfels 33
Benny Sapp 30
Devin Aromashodu 27
Greg Camarillo 29
Jarrad Page 27
Lorenzo Booker 27
Xavier Adibi 27
Matt Katula 29
Kenny Onatolu 29 RFA
These free agents have 4 weeks left to get offered new deals. Who knows if they would accept the deals or would want to test the market? The team may want to wait to see what their market price will be and/or what other options may be out there.
The players that could be released and or traded are ...
Steve Hutchinson 34
Anthony Herrera 31
Cedric Griffin 29
Antoine Winfield 34
I think Winfield could stay since his salary has been lowered and Hutchinson could stay too.
I am not sure how much the Vikings will have available in free agency if they released all these players because there could still be some dead money from players released last year (Madieu Williams comes to mind) and if they release Griffin and Herrera. Also, Robison earned about an extra 1 mil or so too. I think they could have anywhere from 25 to 40 mil. It really is an exercise in futility trying to figure out exactly where a team is at in relation to the cap.
Here are the free agents I would target and hope to sign.
CB – Brandon Carr 25 6-0 207 4.43 - 6 year 52.5 mil
SS - Tyvon Branch 25 6-0 205 4.31 - 6 year 36 mil
LB - David Hawthorne 26 6-0 246 4.67 - 6 year 45 mil
WR – Laurent Robinson 26 6-2 199 4.38 - 5 year 27.5 mil
I only put four because I think the Vikings should try very hard to get just a few really good and young free agents and then fill in the rest of the roster via the draft, undrafted free agents, or the inevitable veterans that get released and can be had for cheap. I may be overly ambitious even in these four.
So now to the draft.
1. Indianapolis selects Andrew Luck QB obviously
I think St Louis wants badly to trade down but teams know that they will not select a QB and therefore can deal with the Vikings and give up less than they would have to give up to St Louis. The Vikings are in a pretty good spot and Spielman can put the word out to teams that they can do a deal with the Vikings instead of the Rams and give up less. Thus I think ...
2. St Louis selects Matt Kalil OT
So that leaves the Vikings in a pretty good position. They have told teams to make a deal with them instead of the Rams for less. Here is an article detailing the cost of acquiring a QB on draft day ...
Here is a little bit of that article ..
Could the Browns get the second pick from St. Louis for those two picks?
Not likely. The value of their two picks is 20 points light. But more important, precedent shows it takes multiple picks or players to acquire quarterbacks on or near draft day, not two:
Cleveland might be able to avoid giving up both its first rounders this year - general manager Tom Heckert and president Mike Holmgren have gone on record saying they got extra picks to rebuild the team - but it would have to give next year's No. 1.
I first thought that the Vikings should just take RG3 themselves to make sure they get a team to do a deal. But that is very risky for a team like Cleveland. Do they want to try and call the Vikings bluff? Do they want to let Washington or another team blow them out the water with a better deal while they are d*cking around? The Vikings would have no problem dropping down to #6 for Washington's first, second, and sixth (the one we gave to them for McNabb) this year plus their 1st and 3rd next year or something like that. Cleveland has picks this year to use to ensure they get their guy. Cleveland may want to hang onto the #22 pick this year but they could be bad again next year and that first round pick in 2013 has a good chance of being a top 10 pick. So they are better off giving up the #22 this year than a probable top 15 pick next year. I think the Browns will cave and the Vikings want picks this year to speed the rebuilding.
Thus, the Vikings trade the #3 pick to the Browns for the #4, #22, & #118 picks this year plus their 2013 4th round pick.
3. Cleveland selects Robert Griffin III QB
Now Minnesota has a couple of first round picks and can select Blackmon, Claiborne, or someone else like Trent Richardson perhaps. But Washington wants to be sure to get Justin Blackmon. Washington has Santana Moss (11 years), Jabar Gaffney (10 years), and Donte' Stallworth (9 years). These are old WRs. They need WR help bad just like the Vikings but at least the Vikings have Percy. The Redskins take a page out of the Falcons playbook and get the top WR in the draft. They may even sign a top free agent WR too.
Thus, the Vikings trade the #4 pick to the Redskins for the #6 and the #70 picks.
4. Washington selects Justin Blackmon WR
Next up is Tampa who needs all kinds of help but since Aquib Talib is always in trouble and Ronder Barber is really old and may retire they play it safe.
5. Tampa Bay selects Morris Claiborne CB
Now the Vikings are up again. But Buffalo really needs to get a defensive end and Coples is the top 4-3 DE easily.
Thus, the Vikings trade the #6 & #67 picks to Buffalo for the #10, #41, & #105 picks.
6. Buffalo selects Quinton Coples DE
Note: If the Vikings had any inclination of trading Jared Allen then picking Coples here would be the wise move. But trading Allen is not in this mock.
7. Jacksonville selects Dre Kirkpatrick CB
8. Carolina selects Devon Still DT
9. Miami selects Riley Reiff OT
So now the Vikings are finally ready to make their first pick. They have picks 10,22,35,41,70,comp,98,105,118,130,164,193,206,222,comp and an extra 4th round pick in 2013.
10. Minnesota selects Jonathan Martin OT
11. Kansas City who select Trent Richardson RB
12. Seattle selects Luke Kuechly LB
13. Arizona selects Courtney Upshaw OLB/DE
14. Dallas selects Peter Konz C
15. Philadelphia selects David DeCastro OG
16. New York Jets select Michael Floyd WR
17. Cincinnati selects Janoris Jenkins CB
18. San Diego Selects Melvin Ingram OLB/DE
19. Chicago selects Mike Adams OT
20. Tennessee selects Cordy Glenn OG
21. Cincinnati selects Mark Barron SS
22. Minnesota selects Michael Brockers DT 6-5 306 4.95
23. Detroit selects Alphonso Dennard CB
24. Pittsburgh selects Dontari Poe DT
25. Denver selects Jerel Worthy DT
26. Houston selects Kendall Wright WR
27. New England selects Fletcher Cox DT
28. Green Bay selects Nick Perry OLB/DE
29. Baltimore selects Dont'a Hightower ILB
30. San Francisco selects Mohammed Sanu WR
31. New England selects Alshon Jeffery WR
32. New York Giants select Dwayne Allen TE
33. St Louis selects Brandon Thompson DT
34. Indianapolis selects Brandon Washington OG
35. Minnesota selects Zach Brown OLB 6-1 236 4.48
36. Tampa Bay selects Lavonte David LB
37. Cleveland selects Zebrie Sanders OT
38. Jacksonville selects Whitney Mercilus DE
39. Washington selects Ryan Tannehill QB
40. Miami selects Kelechi Osemele OG
41. Minnesota selects Stephen Gilmore CB 6-1 195 4.52
42. Carolina selects Chase Minnifield CB
43. Kansas City selects Andrew Datko OT
44. Seattle selects Andre Branch DE
45. Dallas selects Jared Crick DE
46. Philadelphia selects Vontaze Burfict LB
47. New York Jets selects Vinny Curry OLB/DE
48. New England selects Markelle Martin FS
49. San Diego selects Nate Potter OT
50. Chicago selects Reuben Randle WR
51. Philadelphia selects Bobby Wagner LB
52. Tennessee selects George Iloka FS
53. Cincinnati selects Lamar Miller RB
54. Detroit selects Chandler Jones DE
55. Atlanta selects Coby Fleener TE
56. Pittsburgh selects Kevin Zeitler OG
57. Denver selects David Wilson RB
58. Houston selects Antonio Allen SS
59. New Orleans selects Travis Lewis OLB
60. Green Bay selects Billy Winn DE/DT
61. Baltimore selects Ben Jones C
62. San Francisco selects Ronnell Lewis OLB/DE
The Vikings jump back into the second round here by trading their 2013 2nd round pick plus pick #98 to the Patriots for pick #63. Maybe they would be interested in Winfield and then the 2013 pick could be a 3rd or 4th?
63. Minnesota selects Orson Charles TE 6-3 242 4.64
64. New York Giants selects Bobbie Massie OT
65. Indianapolis selects Trumaine Johnson CB
Now the Vikings want to get another 3rd round pick so they trade Chris Cook and a 2013 5th round pick to the Rams for pick #66.
66. Minnesota selects selects Alameda Ta'amu DT 6-3 337
67. Buffalo selects Nick Toon WR
68. Cleveland selects Cam Johnson DE
69. Tampa Bay selects Harrison Smith SS
70. Minnesota selects Brandon Boykin CB 5-9 183 4.44
71. Jacksonville selects Dwight Jones WR
72. Buffalo selects Shea McClellin OLB/DE
73. Chicago selects Leonard Johnson CB
74. Miami selects Kendall Reyes DE/DT
75. Kansas City selects Josh Chapman DT
76. Seattle selects Nigel Bradham LB
77. Philadelphia selects Marcus Forston DT
78. New York Jets selects Matt McCants OT
Oakland used pick in Supplemental draft on Terrelle Pryor QB
79. San Diego selects Jamell Fleming CB
80. Chicago selects Michael Brewster C
81. Arizona selects Micthell Schwartz OT
82. Dallas selects Casey Hayward CB
83. Tennessee selects Josh Kaddu LB
84. Cincinnati selects Stephen Hill WR
85. Atlanta selects Senio Kelemete OG
86. Detroit selects Brandon Mosley OT
87. Pittsburgh selects Josh Norman CB
88. Denver selects Tony Bergstrom OT
89. Houston selects Jayron Hosley CB
90. New Orleans selects Amini Silatolu OG Sean Spence OLB
91. Green Bay selects Lucas Nix OG
92. Baltimore selects Marvin McNutt WR
93. San Francisco selects Brandon Brooks OG
94. New England selects Jonathan Massaquoi OLB/DE
95. New York Giants selects Doug Martin RB
comp. Minnesota selects Joe Adams WR
96. St Louis selects Brian Quick WR
97. Indianapolis selects DaJohnn Harris DT
98. New England selects Ryan Broyles WR
99. Philadelphia selects Tommie Streeter WR
100. Cleveland selects T.Y. Hilton WR
101. Jacksonville selects Aaron Henry FS
102. Washington selects James Brown OG/OT
103. Carolina selects Audie Cole LB
104. Miami selects Ladarius Green TE
105. Minnesota selects Chris Polk RB
106. Kansas City selects Shuan Prater CB
107. Seattle selects Malik Jackson DE
108. New York Jets selects Nick Foles QB
109. Washington selects Jeff Allen OG
110. San Diego selects LaMichael James RB
111. Chicago selects James-Michael Johnson LB
112. Arizona selects Tim Benford WR
113. Dallas selects Kheeston Randall DE/DT
114. Philadelphia selects Coryell Judie CB
115. Tennessee selects Philip Blake C
116. Cincinnati selects Mike Martin DT
117. Detroit selects Emmanuel Acho LB
118. Minnesota selects Juron Criner WR 6-2 220 4.52
119. Pittsburgh selects Isiah Pead RB
120. Denver selects Chris Givens WR
121. Houston selects Levy Adcock OG
122. New Orleans selects Jarius Wright WR
123. Green Bay selects Donnie Fletcher CB
124. Buffalo selects Brandon Weeden QB
125. San Francisco selects Trenton Robinson FS
126. New England selects Bruce Irvin OLB/DE
127. New York Giants selects Brandon Taylor SS
128. Indianapolis selects Josh Robinson CB
129. Denver selects Dwight Bentley CB
130. Minnesota selects Janzen Jackson FS
131. Cleveland selects Sean Spence LB
132. Tampa Bay selects Terrell Manning LB
133. Washington selects Mychal Kendricks LB
134. Jacksonville selects Markus Zusevics OT
135. Miami selects Akiem Hicks DT
136. Buffalo selects DeQuan Menzie CB
137. Carolina selects Marvin Jones WR
138. Kansas City selects Michael Egnew TE
139. Seattle selects Bernard Pierce RB
Now the Vikings want to get another 5th round pick so they trade the #164 & #193 picks to the Raiders for the #140 pick.
140. Minnesota selects Jake Bequette DE 6-5 264 4.62
OK. That is enough mocking. The rest of the picks are ...
206. Minnesota selects Demario Davis LB 6-2 233 4.60
222. Minnesota selects Joe Long OT 6-5 308 5.25
http://wsuathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4556 *looks like he can long snap too which is an added bonus!
comp. Minnesota selects Emil Igwenagu FB 6-1 245 4.73
I like these UDFAs ...
Darren Thomas QB Oregon 6-3 215 4.58
Chigbo Anunoby DT Morehouse 6-4 324 5.?? http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/3/category/anunoby%20chigbod8f62289e6/1.html
Dominique Hamilton DT Missouri 6-5 320 5.02 http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/3/category/hamilton%20dominique403348aeb3/1.html
Desmond Marrow CB Toledo 6-2 210 4.52 http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/3/category/marrow%20desmond64cdd74488/1.html
Tony Dye SS UCLA 5-11 216 4.52 http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/3/category/dye%20tony8385d5df1f/1.html
Broderick Binns DE/OLB Iowa 6-1 261 4.79 http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/3/category/binns%20brodericke5d250d773/1.html
Adrien Hamilton DE/ILB Prairie View A&M 6-2 255 4.84 http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/3/category/hamilton%20adrianca1796c365/1.html
James Carmon OT/DT Mississippi State 6-7 330 5.43 http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/3/category/carmon%20jamesc6ba9620d9/1.html
A recap of the Vikings picks ...
10. JONATHAN MARTIN OT
22. MICHAEL BROCKERS DT
35. ZACH BROWN LB
41. STEPHON GILMORE CB
63. ORSON CHARLES TE
66. ALAMEDA TA'AMU DT
70. BRANDON BOYKIN CB
COMP. JOE ADAMS WR
105. CHRIS POLK RB
118. JURIN CRINER WR
130. JANZEN JACKSON FS
140. JAKE BEQUETTE DE
206. VIKINGS. DEMARIO DAVIS LB
222. VIKINGS. JOE LONG OT
COMP. EMIL IGWENAGU FB
I could have included a couple of more player trades perhaps but I will leave like it is for now.