When I reported a few days ago that Minnesota Vikings' cornerback Chris Cook had been acquitted of all charges in his assault case, I said that I would be surprised if he didn't face some sort of disciplinary action from the National Football League.
Well, according to 1500 ESPN. . .in the words of famous military hero Gomer T. Pyle. . .SURPRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE SURPRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE SURPRISE!
A jury foundinnocent on all charges in his domestic assault trial on Thursday.
It appears the Minnesota Vikings cornerback won't face discipline from the NFL for the incident either.
"We will review the facts," league spokesman Greg Aiello said in an email, "but we do not expect league discipline in this matter."
This is good for Cook, and good for the Vikings on-field hopes.
The team also released a statement saying that Cook would, indeed, be welcomed back.
"We respect the legal process and the decision regarding," the Vikings said in a statement. "We have also thoroughly considered Chris' situation and how he has approached this matter. We will meet with Chris in the near future and believe he deserves the opportunity to rejoin our organization."
Getting Cook back will be a boost for a Vikings' secondary that was woefully awful in 2011. Granted, they still need a serious infusion of talent, but this is basically the equivalent of a free agent signing, given Cook's limited action last season.