I don't know if it is because of spring or if the Federal Government has been slipping mescalin in the water supply, but people seem to be on edge here at the Daily Norseman.
Sure, the Minnesota Vikings have been amazingly underwhelming in free agency, not busting out one of their trademark "bet-the-farm-papa!" kind of deals, but is that really so bad? Considering one of the team's last big free agency moves was acquiring Donovan McNabb from the Washington Redskins, it seems safe to say there are worse things than the Vikings failing to get all frisky in free agency.
But, even though the team's rebuilding process is focusing on youth and working largely through the draft to retool the roster, it's plain that folks were hoping for at least some excitement. After the 2011 season was one of the worst in Vikings' franchise history, there needs to be something for fans to get excited about and we don't feel like patiently waiting for the draft. We've had nothing but stadium talk, Adrian Peterson's injury updates, roster moves, mock drafting, and a ho-hum free agency to talk about. Oh, and that sweet bit of vindication for finding out it wasn't just disappointed 2009 sour grapes when we said that the Saints were playing dirty. While that's considerably more than we had to talk about last year during the lockout, it tends to get heavy.
All things considered, it seemed like a good time for a frivolous contest.
It's a little too early to give a soundtrack for the 2012 season a title the way we dubbed last season's soundtrack the Ultimate Misery Mix 2011, but it isn't too early have a competition. During a normal year with a normal off season (neither of which we had last year), the off season roster finessing gets more attention so I think it's only right that the 2012 soundtrack should kick off with a track devoted to the Vikings' 2012 free agency.
Like the team's free agency roster moves? Hate them? Don't grouse and grumble about it, work it out in song like those annoying kids on Glee. Yes, you have another way of making your feelings known. A way that will amuse and annoy, a way that will win you the honor and infamy of our famed (and fictional) Burger King crown. We're relatively sure that there are no curses associated with the crown, unlike being on the cover of Madden NFL.
A little music to get you in the appropriate mood...
Here's how to play:
- Wrack your brain and come up with up to two (yes, only two song submissions) bitching songs that you think perfectly describe the Minnesota Vikings' free agency.
- In the comments section submit the title of the song, the artist who recorded the song, a link to the song's video on YouTube (this makes my life a lot easier), and why you think your song is awesome. All songs for this contest need to be submitted by Friday, April 6, 2012 at 8 p.m. CDT.
- I will compile your songs into a long, unwieldy list and then harass my fellow writers to weigh in on which songs they think should win for this track. Mostly, they vote for themselves, which is kind of cute but not really helpful.
- Since this coming Sunday is Easter Sunday, I probably won't post the results until the middle of next week. At that time, you can check out the other winning songs and then gloat when you find you won the top honors.
- Then, the only thing left to do is bask in the glory of wearing your imaginary Burger King crown.
There you have it, your very first 2012 soundtrack competition. Oh, and, even though it's early, if you have any ideas what we should call the 2012 season's soundtrack, let me know. I'd love to hear your ideas!