I just a rather scathing article on the Green Bay Packers, by a packers writer.
And it makes some rather decent points:
1. The NFC North is going to get better, except GB they are going to stay the same... This will be bad for GB as a result
2. Outside of Rodgers, the packers are incompetent at the position....
3. Thompson is incapable of recognizing areas of need during the season until it blows up
A secret to the Packers' continued success has been their ability to identify core players early and sign them to slightly below-market contracts. Thompson's decision to give Morgan Burnett a big-money extension in mid-July and then watch him perform like a free agent should have rocked the franchise's draft-and-develop model.
5. Thompsons' avoidance of Free Agency is to the Packers own detriment
6. In essence no pro department in Green Bay.........
7. The success of McCarthy is 100% due to developing Rodgers.... but that's it...
8. No one in GB cares about Special Teams
9. McCarthy is incapable of finding tough players (who can avoid injury)
10. After Clay Matthews the defense has only lost players of value (due to age, FA, etc.) However someone of Capers level should still due better.......... which he hasn't (but he is good against Cutler & Stafford somehow)
11. Capers can't stop the rush, big plays, and the red-zone Defense is mediocre
--In summary the Packers have become complacent and lack the ability to rebound till they realize their own shortcomings, admit fault, & move to correct.