A few weeks ago we had a story on AP getting traded. Some media/fans seem to think its a good idea. I understand the running back position has really become devalued over the last few years. But i still don't see how people flip out when they hear how much he is making and say its unacceptable. We just saw Colin Kapernick (don't care about spelling) sign a 21 million a year deal. And i read all over NFL.com how great of a deal it was for both parties. 21 million for 1 person seems completely like a crippling amount for a franchise. Couple of things i don't think people take into account when they look at AP's money and our team.
1. New salary cap is 133 million. It just grew by 10 million dollars. Effectively making his contract less expensive.
2. Should Teddy Bridgewater become our savior. We will have him on the pretty cheap for 5 years (1st rounder so we have a pretty cheap 5th year option). So we have more money to spend on other positions. He might not be the starter this year but Cassel makes something like 5.7 mill and AP makes something like 14 mill. Together they don't even make as much as Kap does or Rodgers.
3. IF we were to even get rid of AP we wouldn't be investing outlandish money in free agency because we are a team that builds through the draft. So the team would basicly be doing nothing with the savings from such a move. Sure we would probably pick up some people but nobody the caliber of AP and again i couldn't see us spending top dollar in FA on someone. (Greg Jennings and Farve are pretty rare instances only 1 was with our current GM)
4. AP is the best at his position. Nobody can do what he does.
5. He's the face of this franchise. I can't fathom why you would get rid of him when you have a brand new stadium you need to fill with people.
Just my opinion.