Summer is always a slow time for NFL talk but this year we don't even have mini-camps or free-agency to break the tedium. All Vikings fans have is a lockout and a stadium debate to hold our interest. As entertainment, that ranks just slightly above looking for lint in our bellybuttons. Sure, Ray Edwards pops onto the scene with a boxing match, says something about how he won't play for less money than his back-up, and then fades back into the summer quiet, but that isn't much for Vikings fans to get excited about. We could probably have more spirited conversations about whether fans prefer seeing the team's name in block letters or that slanty script. I'm a block letters kind of girl.
The other day Chris posted the video "Stadium Shuffle" by the Official Birthday Boys. Love it or hate it (not unlike Rebecca Black's song "Friday"), at least the Birthday Boys used what they had to show support for their team and to encourage people to support a new stadium. Right now, with the NFL lockout and Minnesota's state government shutdown impeding stadium talk, that's about the best we can do.
Musical selections after the jump.
Since I'm already on board with the Vikings needing a new stadium, the "Stadium Shuffle" video mostly got me thinking about Viking-themed videos. So, here's my completely frivolous list of Viking-themed parodies and video montages I'd like to see some talented fan make. I'm holding out my hopes that Mippey5, will accept the challenge. Something tells me Lonely Island isn't going to bite at this.
- "No Sleep Till Stadium" parody on Beastie Boys' "No Sleep Till Brooklyn". The other night I was babysitting my 18-month-old niece and she decided that 3am was a great time to get up and greet the day. I hadn't fallen asleep until midnight, so I wasn't as crazy about this idea. Apparently, there's no reasoning with with toddlers. It reminded me of the Beastie Boys' song "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" and I thought that would be an ideal choice for a pro-stadium parody song. It has a sense of movement and, well, I just like the song. I'm still a little sleep deprived.
- "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)" Beastie Boys montage. I have no idea why I'm in such a Beastie Boys mood, but can you think of a better song for a video montage of clips from Jared Allen's golf tournament? Well, okay, maybe you can, but this is the one I came up with. Allen is the guy who, when talking about his late-great mullet, once said it was the look of a guy who "liked to party with two Rs." Considering Allen's golf tournament that features Marines yelling during people's back-swings, drill instructors, a Slip-n-Slide, and a whole roast pig, something tells me he's ready to fight for his right to party.
"Been Caught Stealing" Jane's Addiction montage. My favorite players are usually defensive players, like John Randle, Joey Browner, and Scott Studwell, but in highlight clips there's kind of a pro-offense bias. There's nothing wrong with that, I like watching Vikings receivers catch touchdown passes as much as the next Vikings fan, but what I really want to see is a montage of Vikings defensive players making interceptions. I love that confusion and panic when spindly receivers have to try to tackle a linebacker, or a quarterback tries to tackle a corner. I think Antoine Winfield's play in last season's Tuesday night game against the Philadelphia Eagles would make a nice finale for this montage. Oh, and as a random aside, Chris Kluwe listed Jane's Addiction as one of his band's musical influences.
- "Pictures of You" The Cure parody. Since this list of songs is kind of kicking it old school, I figured I might as well keep with the theme. All NFL fans have right now is nostalgia and highlight clips so a sort of sad love song pining about having only pictures instead of the real thing seems like a good choice. And the idea of sensitive, guy-liners singing about football just makes me laugh.
- "Learning to Fly" Foo Fighters montage. Try as I might, I couldn't think of another song from the 1980s that I wanted to use, so we're revving up to the 1990s. As someone with a deep affection for defense, there are few things I like better than seeing defensive players from my team barreling through an offensive line and sacking an opposing quarterback. For us, there's nothing better than seeing defensive ends go flying through the air and casually introducing an opposing quarterback to gravity.
- "The Lazy Song" Bruno Mars parody. Hey look at that, a musical choice from this decade. Considering the NFL lockout continues to drag on, is it really such a stretch to believe this is the NFL's new official theme song? Doesn't seem like it.
Well, there you have the musical offerings I came up with. But what about you? Considering the folks here at the Daily Norseman, I have a feeling you could come up with lots of entertaining ideas. And, who knows, the lockout could be over any time now and we'll have more interesting things to talk about. Damn, I'm bored.