For those waiting to hear more thoughts on Passer Rating, Total QBR and other quarterback statistics, take a listen. The first half of the first episode is here, for anyone who missed it.
The suggestions we've received are pretty great, and we'll be implementing some of them as we move forward, although you won't see any of them in this one just quite yet—this was recorded with the first half at the same time.
Episode two should be coming this Thursday (hopefully in one part) and naturally it will be about Training Camp, where you should see me in the first week (hopefully more, if my delayed paychecks come in and I can extend my stay).
- An Explanation of ANY/A by the Pro Football Reference blog
- "True" values of touchdown/interception at CodeandFootball or AdvancedNFLStats, using different methods (they come to similar conclusions, interestingly)
- BDR explained by KC Joyner, at ESPN In$ider
- Joyner's ranking of Christian Ponder on twitter
- When yards per attempt fails (because of unequal tradeoffs between completion rate and yards per completion), per FootballPerspective
- Research on QB sacks—it's the QB's fault from PFR blog (this research also finds that interceptions are not as much on the QB as we think). More research from Football Outsiders, taking the inverse approach.
- DVOA explained - a great read on the concept of success rate in football, incidentally
- PFF Grading Explained - why they are a "subjective" organization instead of an "objective" one, like Football Outsiders
- Ron Jaworski ranking Christian Ponder. My compliments to Jaworski were made before he put Flacco at fourth, by the way.
- Shutdown Corner Podcast last updated July 19th
- Cosell on Ponder. It's a podcast. If you want a brief trancription, check out Field Gulls. Note that one can both lock onto a receiver and not have a "calm helmet"
- NFL.com list of quarterbacks
- My published notes on the games from last year.
- The research I alluded to earlier on Christian Ponder, and the summary produced for the Daily Norseman. I updated it in response to a thread query, especially in regards to his final four games. Check out the database here. It's downloadable.
- Worst QBs in history, according to Pro-Football-Reference