clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Minnesota Vikings at Chicago Bears: Fourth Quarter Open Thread

Mike DiNovo-USA TODAY Sports

The Chicago Bears received the second half kickoff from the Minnesota Vikings at Soldier Field, and a nice tackle by Adam Thielen kept the Chicago returner from crossing the 20-yard line. The Bears picked up a couple of quick first downs, and soon after found themselves at midfield again. Jay Cutler then found Alshon Jeffery for a big 34-yard completion to set up a first-and-goal situation for the Bears. Chicago pushed down to the 1-yard line, and chose to go for it on 4th-and-1, but the Vikings defense stepped up in a big way and stopped Cutler for no gain.

The Vikings took over at their own 1-yard line, and managed to get one first down on a slant from Teddy Bridgewater to Charles Johnson, but that was all they could manage. Jeff Locke came on to punt once again, and was once again not very good, as a short punt allowed the Bears to start in Minnesota territory at the Vikings' 47.

The Bears picked up a first down on their next possession, and looked to be headed for more, until Cutler threw his second interception of the afternoon, this one into the arms of Harrison Smith. Smith got a huge return of 51 yards down to the Chicago 27-yard line, and it was just a terrible pass by Cutler. But, the Vikings got a much-needed break and got themselves into scoring position.

Unfortunately, the Vikings were unable to do anything with it, as they ran three plays and brought Blair Walsh on for a 38-yard field goal attempt. And, for only the second time in his career, Walsh missed a field goal from inside of 40 yards, as he pushed it wide right. After the miss, the score remained 14-10 in favor of Chicago.

As we go to the fourth quarter of play, the Bears have a 1st-and-10 from the Minnesota 36-yard line after a big run by Matt Forte. The Bears are still holding on to a 14-10 lead. Can the Vikings manage a comeback in the final fifteen minutes?