clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Washington Redskins at Minnesota Vikings: Fourth Quarter Open Thread

Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sports

The Washington Redskins were the recipients of the second half kickoff from the Minnesota Vikings, and the Vikings' special teams got a victory as they stopped Andre Roberts at the Washington 18-yard line. Everson Griffen kept up his hot streak, as he sacked Robert Griffin III for his ninth sack of the season, and Chad Greenway. . .yes, Chad Greenway. . .made up for an earlier mistake with a HUGE third down sack of RGIII to force a three-and-out. The punt from Washington punter Tress Way. . .yes, that's his name. . .set the Vikings up at their own 44-yard line after a fair catch by Marcus Sherels.

On the next drive, Teddy Bridgewater took a huge shot from Washington linebacker Keenan Robinson that was flagged for a late hit. He was slow to get up, but he stayed in the ball game. The penalty pushed the ball inside the ten on a run by McKinnon, and the Vikings had a first-and-goal situation. McKinnon got the Vikings down to the 1-yard line, and Matt Asiata hammered it home from there on second-and-goal to give the Vikings the lead, 14-10.

The Redskins got a rare good kickoff return on the ensuing kickoff, as Andre Roberts returned the Blair Walsh kickoff 45 yards to the Washington 44-yard line. Brian Robison collected the Vikings' third consecutive sack to start the drive, and the Vikings forced another third down situation, but RGIII found Jordan Reed for a big gain into Minnesota territory at the 33. It appeared the Vikings had the Redskins stopped again on a third down, but a really, really questionable call on Harrison Smith extended the drive. The referee flagged Smith for hitting Griffin while he was sliding, except Smith didn't actually, you know, hit him. The Redskins took advantage as Griffin hit DeSean Jackson for a 13-yard touchdown pass on the next play, and just like that the Redskins were back on top, 17-14.

Cordarrelle Patterson's return on the ensuing kickoff only got out to the Minnesota 10-yard line, putting the Vikings in a hole to start their drive. They could not generate a first down, and Jeff Locke came on to punt. Locke's punt on this occasion was awful, going just 30 yards and allowing the Redskins to start at their own 49-yard line. The Redskins pushed deep into Minnesota territory, but a big stop by Everson Griffen on a third-and-short forced Washington to settle for a 26-yard Kai Forbath field goal to make the score 20-14 in favor of the visiting team.

A short kickoff from the Redskins was returned by Patterson to the Minnesota 24-yard line to start the next drive. The Vikings got a nice pass from Bridgewater to Charles Johnson (the receiver, not the guard) to get the ball to the 37-yard line. Bridgewater then scrambled for a first down into Washington territory at the 48. Bridgewater then found Greg Jennings for 13 yards to the Washington 34-yard line, and that's where we're at as we go to the fourth quarter of play, with the Vikings facing a 2nd-and-5 from the Redskins' 29.

With fifteen minutes of football remaining, the Minnesota Vikings trail the Washington Redskins, 20-14, at TCF Bank Stadium. Can the Vikings complete a comeback and go into the bye week at 4-5?