At long last, the Daily Norseman Live Community Mock Draft is finally here! We've done some version of a community mock draft here at the DN for several years now, and this year is no different...well, except that I will be the one running it, huzzah! If you're interested in participating in the Live Community Mock Draft, then read carefully so that you know what the signup process is, the rules for participation and what you're getting into.
This year, the Live Community Mock Draft will take place Tuesday, May 6th at 7:30pm CST (tomorrow night!). We will run a 3-round mock draft for all 32 teams and I expect it to take 2-3 hours of time to complete. So if you are interested in participating, make sure that you are free during the whole time frame! At 7:00pm CST on May 6th a new thread will go up that will serve as the mock draft thread, and team owners can begin checking in at the new thread at that time. Once the draft begins, please save the comments section for the people involved in making the selections, but even if you're not a team owner you can hang out and watch the mock draft unfold in real time and offer your input about the Vikings pick once they are on the clock. In any case here are the details for the process.
Live Mock Draft Rules
1. Each team will be controlled by one registered member of the Daily Norseman. There will be a second member assigned as a "backup" owner in case the original owner doesn't show or has to leave early. DN Members may sign up for a maximum of two teams, but can only signup to be the primary owner of one team. For example, you can sign up to control the Texans, and then signup as a backup to Patriots. But you can't sign up to be the primary controller of both the Texans and Patriots. It may turn out that one person controls two teams during the Live Mock if a backup owner who is also controlling a team has to be tapped to run a second team.
2. Users should "check-in" Tuesday night by simply replying to the new Draft Thread that will go up so I know you are present and that we can begin. If a primary team owner does not check-in, then I will give the backup owner a chance to check-in. Please be checked-in and ready to roll by 7:25pm so that we make backup appointments and start promptly at 7:30pm. If any team is unclaimed after the check-in process by 7:30pm I will assume control of said team.
3. Each team owner will submit their pick by replying to your team's "on the clock" announcement from the commissioner (me).
4. Each team owner will have 90 seconds to make a selection. If a comment reply is not made within 90 seconds the commissioner (me) will submit a pick in their place. We want the process to move quickly, so please don't delay.
5. No one person will control the Vikings. When the Vikings are on the clock they will have an extended period of time on the clock. Users can discuss and petition certain picks depending on how the mock draft plays out. After about 5 minutes of discussion, I will make a pick for the Vikings that most closely resemble what I perceive to be the consensus from the discussion. I recommend posting who you want the Vikings to take as well as justification for your choice. I will count how many votes each particular player has, and weigh the most compelling arguments.
6. This Live Mock Draft will only last through 3 rounds. Based on how long the 7-round mock took last year "aint nobody got time for that." If you cannot be available for 2-3 hours and see the Live Mock to the end of 3 rounds, then please don't participate.
7. Yes, trades will be allowed! However, remember that you still only have 90 seconds on the clock. So if you are considering a trade it must be completed AND your selection made before the 90-second deadline. You can simply announce any trade that you have agreed on in the comments section. Both teams should respond verifying the validity of the trade in question. Limit trades to draft picks only (do not include any player(s) for pick(s) trades, I'll just veto those).
8. I will be a tyrant commissioner, hell-bent on keeping this thing running on time. So do not be upset if I make a pick for you if you delay. Keep that in mind when considering trades and the like. I will do my best to stay on top of all the comments and to keep things running smoothly, but if last year was any indication it will not be easy, especially if the SB Nation or Vox Media servers get tied up. My fingers are crossed for a smooth process.
Live Mock Draft Signup Process
The signup process is rather simple. Just reply to this post with the team you would like to control. The first person to reply with a team name will be considered the primary team owner. The second person to reply with a team name will be considered the backup team owner. Again, you may be the primary team owner of only one team, but you could be a backup of a 2nd team. So feel free to sign-up for a second team as a backup option if you so choose. The signup period will close at 6:30pm CST on Tuesday, May 6th (and I will close the comments section of this post at that time). Again, any unclaimed teams (if there are any) will be controlled by me, and any teams that fail to check-in by 7:25pm on Tuesday, May 6th will also be controlled by me.
I will periodically update the signup table based on the order of comments. If there are any questions about the process or how this will work, just ask below in the comments section.
The Daily Norseman
The Daily Norseman
New England Patriots
|purple packer eater|
Lastly, I have taken the liberty to round-up a few resources for prospective team owners as a kind of "draft kit". The first thing you need to do is, get acquainted with your team. You need to be aware of what holes a team needs to fill and what the most glaring needs of your team are. I would highly recommend visiting the SB Nation site devoted to your team and reading up on their thoughts about the draft. Even consider joining their site and posting a fanpost seeking feedback about what players you should target. You can also check out this excellent team needs chart over at Draftek.
Secondly, try to decide upon a big board that you like to help you make your draft selections quickly. I really like the Consensus Big Board that Arif Hasan put together over at Vikings Territory, but you can also go with others like CBS Sports Prospect Ranking or Dan Kadar's most recent Big Board at our own Mocking the Draft site here at SB Nation. The bottom line is picking the Big Board that you like the best will make it more fun for you! At the end of the day, this Live Community Mock Draft should be fun. So, enjoy the armchair GM experience, and I'll see you all tomorrow night!