Are you getting excited for the 2015 season? I know I am, and training camp is less than a week away! You can find all kinds of information about training camp at the Vikings official website. But one of the cool things they release each year is the Vikings Media Guide. This year it's 289 pages devoted solely to the Minnesota Vikings. They have information about all of the coaches, players, the new stadium, record holders and tons of historical information about past seasons. Every year, it's always worth checking out. Here are a few fun facts from the guide:
1. The Vikings haven't had a single player score 4 touchdowns in a game since Ahmad Rashad did it in 1979.
2. The Vikings haven't blocked a punt for a safety since Matt Blair did in 1989.
3. So far, the 1990s have produced the most "All-Decade Team" players, which included the likes of Cris Carter, Gary Zimmerman, Randal McDaniel, Chris Doleman, John Randle and Gary Anderson.
4. The 1999 season was the most popular Vikings season when measured by attendance numbers. 1,488,974 people attended the Vikings games in 1999, the most to date (both regular season and away games).
5. There are some current Vikings chasing team all-time records. Chad Greenway sits in 4th all-time in tackles (needs over 770 total to catch Studwell). While Peterson holds the rushing record already, he currently sits in 2nd place in combined rushing/receiving yards behind Cris Carter (and also behind him in all-purpose yards). He only needs 503 rushing/receiving and 78 all-purpose yards to catch Carter.
6. Marcus Sherels and Cordarrelle Patterson are currently the Vikings all-time leaders in punt and return yard average.
In any case, there is a ton of interesting information contained in the media guide. Check it out for yourself. Oh, and bonus, you can download a free PDF copy of the guide for convenient off-line readingl, the link again is here.