Here at The Daily Norseman, we are committed to bringing fans of the Minnesota Vikings the best content possible about our favorite football team. We are now, officially, looking to expand our team of contributors. So, if you’re a big fan of the Vikings and enjoy writing about them, we have an opportunity for you.
We are currently looking for two new contributors for our front page. These individuals will receive a small monthly stipend from SB Nation to provide content to us, contingent upon agreeing to provide us with five to seven stories per week.
Applicants are encouraged to treat this as a committed hobby. It doesn’t have to take over your life or anything like that, but this is something that you can use on a resume for other jobs in the future. There are numerous individuals throughout the SB Nation community that have used contributor positions at sites like ours as a springboard to jobs in journalism outside of SB Nation.
- Listening to various Vikings-related interviews from different media sources (ESPN, KFAN, 1500 ESPN, etc.) and do articles about them.
- Finding various Vikings-related Tweets (whether they’re from Vikings players or just about the team) and doing a post based on them. This is a pretty broad spectrum. . .it could be stats, someone saying something funny, things from charity events, etc.
- General news about the Vikings, the NFC North, and the NFL.
- Again, this position would call for five to seven posts per week. If you are not willing to contribute at that level, please do not apply. Posts should also be at least 150 words in length.
- You will have to have a knack for finding your own stories/topics. You may get a request from me to put something together from time to time, but for the most part you’ll be finding your own topics.
- This is not something that’s going to require you to do huge, sweeping “analysis” types of pieces. You certainly can do those sorts of stories, but that’s not the biggest part of what we’re looking for here.
- You absolutely must have strong writing skills and the ability to edit your own work.
- You need to have a grasp of presentation skills, such as when to use paragraph breaks, lists, graphics, and embeds, all through the user interface we provide at SB Nation.
How To Apply
If you’re interested in applying, you can send an e-mail to DailyNorseman@gmail.com. If you want to apply, here’s what you need to include:
- First and last name
- Your DN user name (and if you don’t have one, please create one)
- Cover Letter - This should be two paragraphs. It should include a brief description about your writing experience, what topics you could talk about if you were selected to write for DN, and that you understand that you would be committed to the required number of posts per week.
- No formal resume is required. If you want to include your writing samples, please include a link to them. If you’ve contributed to DN over the years, we can look back at your contributions (such as FanPosts) instead.
We will start accepting applications today through next Friday, 26 May. If you have sent an e-mail expressing interest in the past, please re-submit with a more formal application as detailed above.
We will also accept applications for non-paid contributors and will consider outstanding candidates who want to post sparingly as a member of the DN staff. This may be of interest to individuals who would like to commit to one weekly column or freelance features. However, we may choose to not add any non-paid contributors at this time.
If you have any questions, please inquire in the comments below. This is our first formal call for writers in a very long time.
Best of luck to everyone!