So, there’s this relatively obscure sporting event taking place in Las Vegas this evening. Something about some boxer guy taking on some guy from ultimate fighting. I’m sure that, over the past couple of weeks, you’ve heard absolutely nothing about it.
Ah, who am I kidding? This is pretty much all anyone is going to be talking about today, and it appears that the Minnesota Vikings are no different.
On the Vikings’ official website, Mike Wobschall spoke to some of the Vikings’ players about who they have in tonight’s big fight between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor. It appears that things are pretty equally divided if the players that Wobby spoke to are any indication. Let’s take a quick roll call of the players interviewed in the video:
- Defensive tackle
Sebastian ThunderbucketTom Johnson is putting his money on Mayweather. Johnson’s theory is that with McGregor going into Mayweather’s environment, Mayweather has the clear advantage, which makes sense. (I don’t think Mayweather would fare terribly well in the octagon, either.)
- Teddy Bridgewater is also in Mayweather’s corner in this one, and he doesn’t think there’s much debate. He calls Mayweather the greatest boxer of all time (next to Muhammad Ali) and it doesn’t sound like he thinks it’s even going to be close.
- Defensive tackle Datone Jones is also backing Mayweather, citing that while McGregor is a great athlete and a very good fighter, Mayweather is one of the greatest of all time.
- Lest we think the Vikings’ locker room is all-in on Mayweather, offensive tackle Mike Remmers thinks that McGregor can win and that he’s rooting for him to do so. In true Viking fan fashion, Remmers says he’s cheering for McGregor to be different and that he just wants Mayweather to lose. I can respect that.
- Taylor Heinicke says that he wants McGregor to win, but it’s “hard to go against Floyd.” He also says that if it goes the 12-round distance, it’s advantage Mayweather.
- Jeremiah Sirles pretty clearly thinks that Mayweather is going to win and isn’t sure “why people think McGregor is going to shock the world.” He says McGregor can only win if he manages an early knockout.
- Long snapper Kevin McDermott “doesn’t care,” citing the fact that he’ll probably be asleep because it’s the night before a game and the fight is going to be on pretty late. I’m sure others share his sentiment.
- McGregor has another backer in the form of offensive lineman Alex Boone, who cites the fact that he’s “50% Irish” in making his selection of McGregor.
- Antone Exum is backing Mayweather, citing the fact that Mayweather has been boxing for “about 836 years,” but McGregor might hang around longer than people think.
- Stephen Weatherly makes the bold call of “McGregor in 5.” Weatherly says that the people picking Mayweather “don’t know what he knows,” whatever that might mean.
So, of the ten players that Wobschall surveyed, we’ve got six that are going with Mayweather, three that are going with McGregor, and one long snapper playing the Jay Cutler “DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON’T CARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE” card. So, there’s a majority, but not a huge one.
So, who does everyone have in tonight’s fight? Will you be watching? Will you be paying to watch it, or getting together with a group of friends?
Mayweather vs McGregor: WHO YA GOT!?
This poll is closed