clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Marcus Sherels, Thomas Morstead teaming up for Best Christmas Ever

New, comments

‘Tis the season, everyone!

San Francisco 49ers v Minnesota Vikings Photo by Hannah Foslien/Getty Images

Last year, after playing through a rib injury in the NFC Divisional Playoff game at U.S. Bank Stadium, fans of the Minnesota Vikings aided New Orleans Saints’ punter Thomas Morstead in raising money for his charity, What You Give Will Grow. Through the combination of a post on Reddit and Morstead’s announcement that donations received during the week following the Saints/Vikings game would go to the Children’s Minnesota Child Life Program, Vikings’ fans stepped up in a big way. By the end of the week, the amount raised had grown to a grand total of $221,143, and Morstead came to the Twin Cities personally to present the check.

Now, in this week leading up to the Sunday Night Football game between the Vikings and the Saints, Morstead’s charity is teaming up with Vikings’ cornerback Marcus Sherels for what they’re calling the “Best Christmas Ever.”

According to the What You Give Will Grow website, here is what the Best Christmas Ever program entails:

Ahead of this week’s match-up between the New Orleans Saints and the Minnesota Vikings, Saints punter Thomas Morstead and his foundation, What You Give Will Grow, are teaming up with, Vikings cornerback, Marcus Sherels to raise funds to support Best Christmas Ever© families in Minnesota and the Greater New Orleans area. Best Christmas Ever© is a non-profit organization that works with community partners to lift up families who have fallen on hard times through no fault of their own by giving them a Best Christmas Ever.

Thus far, with just six days remaining in the fundraising effort, less than 20% of the total goal amount has been raised. They’re shooting for a total of $60,000, and as of now the total stands at just $10,995.

According to the page, the market that provides the biggest share of the fundraising will get 60% of the final tally, while the other market will get 40%. So, in addition to (hopefully) beating the Saints on the football field, Vikings fans will have an opportunity to take down Saints fans in the charitable arena as well.

(Not that there are any losers when it comes to charity like this, mind you, but still. . .let’s help get the Twin Cities to a win here, shall we?)

If you’d like to donate to What You Give Will Grow’s charitable efforts to give families in the Twin Cities and in New Orleans the Best Christmas Ever, you can hit the link right here. The address for you to pass along to others, should you desire, is http://bce.wygwg.org.

Let’s give these folks a helping hand, ladies and gentlemen!