Good Monday morning, everyone,
We’re all a bit shocked, I’m sure, as the team’s offensive line coach, Tony Sparano passed away over the weekend. Sparano was a part of the somewhat miraculous Vikings O-line turnaround last year, and had previously helped Oakland assemble a formidable offensive line. His shoes will not be easy to fill. I’m sure the team will fill the vacancy soon, as training camp is upon us, but this was a total surprise. My prayers with the Sparano family.
Around the DN since our last open thread:
The ESPN Future Power Rankings predict the Vikings will continue to field a contender for years to come.
Chris takes a look back at Sparano’s impressive coaching career.
Mike Hughes made a worthy investment after signing his rookie deal.
Vikings news from other sources and news from around the league:
The Pioneer Press has a link where you can watch the first ever Minnesota Vikings Monday Night Football game, played against the Rams in 1970.
At Vikings.com, look into the linebackers in the training camp preview, hear Coach Zimmer’s thoughts on the secondary, O line, and Treadwell’s progress, and there’s much more to look through in the media vault.
Johnny Manziel was a Tiger-Cat, now he’s an Alouette (I don’t know what that is, either) as the QB was traded, per CBS Sports.
Here’s a neat story from the NY Daily News about who Tony Sparano really was as a person, both on and off the field, this is worth a read.
We come to today’s media selection:
There isn’t much out there, but this is a video that highlights tributes from players and coaches to Tony Sparano.
Again, we all know the rules, but in case someone is new:
- No discussion of politics or religion
- No feeding of the trolls
- This isn’t a male version of The View, so leave the gender hatred at the door
- Keep the bad language to a minimum (using the spoiler tags, if you must
- Speaking of which, if discussing a newer show or movie, please use spoiler tags
- No pictures that could get someone fired or in serious trouble with their employer
- If you can’t disagree in a civil manner, feel free to go away
- While navigating the open thread, just assume anything you read is sarcasm
With that, the beer light is on and the bar is open. Belly up & tie one on. Don’t forget to tip your waitress, & try the pickled northern