It would appear that we have reached some sort of a crisis point with the Minnesota Vikings’ offensive line, as this story suggests.
Yesterday, in an interview with TMZ, current free agent guard Richie Incognito stated that he had been in contact with a couple of teams this offseason, to include the Vikings. If you’ll recall, Incognito was originally going to retire this offseason, citing that his body was shutting down, only to later be released by the Buffalo Bills when he decided he still wanted to play. He was then involuntarily committed for an off-field incident.
Given this recent history, it seems surprising that the Vikings would have shown any interest in Incognito at all. When asked about the issue this morning at practice, head coach Mike Zimmer said. . .well, he said this:
Mike Zimmer asked about Richie Incognito saying the Vikings reached out to him. His response: “No interest and totally false. Tweet that.”— Courtney Cronin (@CourtneyRCronin) August 7, 2018
Based on that, it would appear that either Mike Zimmer is lying or that Richie Incognito is lying. After a long look at the evidence, I know where I’d put my money if I were a gambling man.
All of this comes in the wake of Nick Easton seeking a second opinion on some of his injury issues and Pat Elflein still sitting on the PUP list, as well as Mike Remmers missing some practices.
I know that fans want the Vikings to start looking for help on the offensive line, but honestly, I don’t think there’s any chance that they would even entertain a Richie Incognito signing at this point, and Mike Zimmer pretty emphatically stated that today.