Tomorrow, the 2018-19 NFL season will officially come to an end, with the Los Angeles Rams and the New England Patriots doing battle in Super Bowl LIII. I know that the overwhelming majority of us here will be watching the game, because we’re football junkies and that’s just the sort of thing that we do.
But what if you’re not all that into this year’s Super Bowl, or you can’t bear the thought of seeing two teams play for the Lombardi Trophy that are not the Minnesota Vikings? Well, if that’s the case, there are going to be plenty of other things on TV for your viewing pleasure. As a public service, we will be listing some of them here.
The big one, and the most important, in my opinion, is Puppy Bowl XV. Yes, Animal Planet has been doing this for fifteen years now, and it’s for the same great cause it’s always been for: getting shelter pups from across the country into good, loving homes. This year’s contest will feature 93 puppies from 51 shelters from coast-to-coast. The pre-game. . .yes, the Puppy Bowl now has a pre-game show. . .starts at 1:00 PM Central time, with the main event starting at 2:00 PM.
Not to be outdone, the Hallmark Channel will be going for the cat audience with the Kitten Bowl. While it doesn’t get quite the hype the Puppy Bowl does. . .this is only the sixth-annual Kitten Bowl, after all. . .it’s for the same good cause that the Puppy Bowl is for. Kitten Bowl VI will air on the Hallmark Channel starting at 2:00 PM Central, and it will be followed by the Cat Bowl at 4:00 PM Central.
There are also going to be quite a few “marathons” on different channels from your cable or satellite provider. Here’s a list of a few for starters, and if I manage to dig up more (or if you have any), I will throw them in here as well.
- BBC America will be airing all of Planet Earth: Blue Planet starting at 8:00 AM Central, running all the way to 10:00 PM Central.
- Over on Comedy Central, you can watch a marathon of The Office that will kick off at 7:00 AM Central and conclude at 9:00 PM Central.
- FXX will be running a marathon of The Simpsons starting at 2:00 PM Central. It will run all the way to 10:00 PM Central, and will conclude with back-to-back showings of The Simpsons Movie.
- If you’re a big fan of The Hunger Games, TBS will be airing all four movies back-to-back, starting at 5:00 PM Central.
- Starting at 4:00 PM Central on A&E, you can see all three of the movies in the “Mummy” series (The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, and The Scorpion King).
- On TLC. . .if you’ve got the stomach for it. . .they’ll be running a marathon of Dr. Pimple Popper starting at 4:00 PM Central. Personally, I can think of numerous other things I’d rather watch.
- Food Network will be taking a departure from Flavor Town to air a marathon of Worst Cooks in America starting at 5:00 PM Central.
- If you have PopTV, you can give yourself a serious 90s flashback with a marathon of Charmed, starting at 4:00 PM Central.
- Do you like game shows? Well, then you can head over to Game Show Network for a marathon of Family Feud, starting at 4:30 PM Central.
- Bravo will be showing a marathon of the geographically-appropriate Real Housewives of Atlanta starting at 7:00 AM Central. Can’t see myself watching that, either. . .we’re an Orange County family in this house.
Also, if you’re not into watching the halftime show, for the first time in a long time we have a solid alternative. WWE has decided to revive Halftime Heat, 20 years after the first one happened. The match 20 years ago was an empty arena match that saw Mick Foley defeat The Rock to win the WWF Championship. This year, WWE is skewing a little differently, with a six-man tag team match featuring their NXT brand. The match will feature NXT World Champion Tommaso Ciampa, NXT North American Champion Johnny Gargano, and Adam Cole (the bad guys) taking on Aleister Black, Ricochet, and the Velveteen Dream (the good guys). It will get underway. . .ummmm, at halftime. The catch is that you’ll have to have the WWE Network in order to see it.
So, if you’re not going to be watching the big game on Sunday, at least you’ll have plenty of solid alternatives to entertain yourself with.