As Ted passed along earlier today, the brand new Alliance of American Football will be kicking off their inaugural season this weekend with four games. The games are going to air on a number of different channels, as well as online, and they’re even going to be broadcast on SiriusXM satellite radio. It certainly seems like the league is off to a nice start.
Since we’d like to see an alternative football league succeed, we’re going to be adopting a team as “our team” for this inaugural season. (That and we can only do so many mock drafts. . .oh, man, we can only do so many mock drafts.) If there was a team with any sort of geographic proximity to Minnesota, this would be a relatively easy task for a Vikings site like ours. However, there really isn’t. . .the closest team might be in Memphis, though I haven’t busted out Google Maps or anything to confirm that.
So, since we’re going to be covering this on a site that all of you enjoy reading, we wanted to give you all a say on which team would be the Daily Norseman’s team of choice for the first season of the AAF.
Let’s do a quick rundown of all the teams, as well as players on those teams that have at least some connection to the Minnesota Vikings. Granted, that might not be the only reason that we pick a particular squad, but it might be a factor for some.
- Arizona Hotshots - RB Jhurell Pressley, DT Will Sutton, DT Chunky Clements, LB Edmond Robinson, P Jeff Locke
- Atlanta Legends - QB Peter Pujals, LB Brandon Watts, LS Jeff Overbaugh
- Birmingham Iron - DB Jack Tocho
- Memphis Express - None that I could see
- Orlando Apollos - WR Charles Johnson, OL Marquis Lucas
- Salt Lake Stallions - RB Matt Asiata, RB Terrell Newby, WR Jordan Leslie, TE Nick Truesdell
- San Antonio Commanders - LB Shaan Washington (also former Gophers’ RB David Cobb)
- San Diego Fleet - OL Chris Gonzalez, DB Kendall James
I’m pretty sure that covers just about everyone. Some of these guys were practice squad only or didn’t make it out of Training Camp, but hey, a connection is a connection.
We’ll be doing stuff about the AAF as a whole, but we’d like to have one team to sort of pay a little more attention to this season. So, let us know which team that should be! We’ll stop the poll on Saturday at 2 PM Central so that it’s complete before the games kick off on Saturday.
Which AAF team should The Daily Norseman "adopt" for the league’s inaugural season (and likely beyond)?
This poll is closed
Salt Lake Stallions
San Antonio Commanders
San Diego Fleet