We weren’t expecting the Minnesota Vikings to be big-time “players” in free agency this year. So, naturally, on the first day of the “legal tampering” period, they decided to go crazy on us.
So, we’re setting up this tracker so that we can keep tabs on all the moves the purple will be making during the major part of the free agency period. Whenever we get news, we’ll be posting stories and updating this tracker as well.
Here is everything we have to this point:
- For just the third time in team history, the Vikings have placed the Franchise Tag on a player, designating safety Anthony Harris. His price tag under the franchise tender will be around $11.4 million.
- The big one is the Vikings giving quarterback Kirk Cousins a two-year extension to provide some salary cap relief.
- Not to be outdone, the Vikings also gave fullback C.J. Ham a new four-year deal to prevent him from reaching free agency.
- The Vikings also agreed to a new three-year deal for punter Britton Colquitt.
- Backup quarterback Sean Mannion will return to the Vikings in 2020, as he signed a one-year deal to remain with the team.
- Dan Bailey will be returning for his third season with the Vikings after signing a new three-year deal.
- Backup offensive tackle Rashod Hill will be returning to Minnesota, as the team has signed him to a one-year deal.
- Speaking of offensive line backups, center/guard Brett Jones is also back with the Vikings, signing a one-year deal of his own.
- Running back/kick returner Ameer Abdullah will be back with the Vikings in 2020, as he agreed to a one-year deal with the team.
Free Agents Signed From Other Teams
- Josina Anderson of ESPN is reporting that the Vikings are signing former Baltimore Ravens’ defensive tackle Michael Pierce to a three-year deal. It’s a $27 million deal with $18 million in guaranteed money.
- The Vikings also made a signing from the XFL, inking Houston Roughnecks linebacker Demarquis Gates to a free agent deal.
- Minnesota signed former Tennessee Titans wide receiver Tajae Sharpe to a one-year deal.
- The Vikings have agreed to a one-year deal with former San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Anthony Zettel.
Vikings Signing With Other Teams
- Defensive end Stephen Weatherly has agreed to a two-year, $12.5 million deal with the Carolina Panthers.
- Cornerback Trae Waynes is officially on his way out of town, as he has agreed to a three-year, $42 million deal with the Cincinnati Bengals.
- Defensive tackle Linval Joseph has a new home, as he agreed to a two-year, $17 million deal with the Los Angeles Chargers on Wednesday.
- Another defensive back leaves town, as safety Jayron Kearse has agreed to a one-year, $2.75 million contract with the Detroit Lions.
- One more defensive back is on his way out of town, as cornerback Mackensie Alexander will join Waynes in Cincinnati on a one-year, $4 million deal.
- For the second time in two years, safety Andrew Sendejo is leaving the Vikings for a new team, as he’s agreed to a one-year deal with the Cleveland Browns.
- Wide receiver Laquon Treadwell has, reportedly, agreed to a one-year deal with the Atlanta Falcons.
- Xavier Rhodes has found a new home, agreeing with the Indianapolis Colts on a one-year deal.
- Well, it actually happened. . .the Minnesota Vikings traded wide receiver Stefon Diggs and a seventh-round pick (#239 overall) to the Buffalo Bills in exchange for the Bills’ first-round pick (#22 overall), a fifth-round pick (#155), a sixth-round pick (#201), and a 2021 fourth-round pick.
- In a surprise move, the Vikings terminated the contract of guard Josh Kline. Why? I don’t know.
Rumors, Innuendo, et cetera
- According to our friends over at Buffalo Rumblings, the Vikings and Bills may have coronavirus-related language built into the Diggs trade.
- In a post on his Instagram account, defensive end Everson Griffen has announced that he will not be returning to the Vikings in 2020.
- Speaking of defensive ends, Danielle Hunter and the Vikings have renegotiated Hunter’s contract to free up space under the salary cap. We are still awaiting the details.
Keep it right here for all of the latest, folks!