Plenty of us were surprised earlier this week when Minnesota Vikings’ running back Dalvin Cook declared that he would not be taking part in any more team activities until he received a “reasonable” contract offer. It appears that the reasoning behind that has to do with the offer that the Vikings have already made to him and his camp.
Jeremy Fowler of ESPN says that Cook felt “disrespected” by the offer that the Vikings sent in his direction in an effort to extend him beyond this season.
“I’m told he’s planning to hold out simply because he felt disrespected by the offer the Vikings put on the table. This is a player that believes he’s one of the best at his position, but he wasn’t asking really for Christian McCaffrey money, which is $16 million per year. He would probably take less than that. So they have about a month to try to find a sweet spot before training camp or else he plans to not show up.”
Well, it’s a good thing that Cook isn’t asking for “Christian McCaffrey money,” I guess. Because, in all likelihood, he’s not getting “Christian McCaffrey money.”
If we’re talking about things in terms of paychecks that other running backs are making, Chad Graff of The Athletic is reporting that the Vikings are offering “Melvin Gordon money,” which Cook isn’t happy with.
Dalvin Cook isn’t asking for Zeke/McCaffrey money but something more like David Johnson: ~$13M.— Chad Graff (@ChadGraff) June 9, 2020
Vikings offering more like Melvin Gordon ($8M per year) money. https://t.co/tJpDFmvAln
Sufficient to say, a gap of $5 million/year is not one that is going to be easily bridged. but if the Vikings really want to put this situation behind them, my guess is that Rick Spielman, Rob Brzezinski, and the rest of the team can make it happen.
At least we have something to keep track of over the next month or so until Training Camp gets underway, am I right?