The new league year is upon us, and with it comes the start of free agency. While we aren’t expecting the Minnesota Vikings to do a lot during this signing period, we’re still going to be tracking all of the moves that are made.
Of course, we didn’t expect them to do a lot during last year’s free agency signing period, either, and then they went out and signed a bunch of players. So, we don’t know for sure, I guess.
We’ll keep this tracker pinned to the top of the main page for a couple of weeks until the bulk of free agency is over and done with. Check out the Vikings’ futures odds courtesy of our friends at DraftKings Sportsbook.
Vikings FA News To This Point
- As we reported on Sunday, the Vikings signed QB Kirk Cousins to a 1-year, $35 million extension to lower his cap figure for this season.
- The Vikings have also tendered K Greg Joseph with a right of first refusal tender.
Vikings New FA Signings
- Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network is reporting that the Vikings are signing former Buffalo Bills’ defensive tackle Harrison Phillips to a 3-year, $19.5 million contract.
- The Vikings have also come to terms on a 2-year deal with former Arizona Cardinals linebacker Jordan Hicks that could be worth as much as $12 million
- Minnesota has also announced that they have agreed to terms with former Los Angeles Rams tight end Johnny Mundt.
- In an effort to add depth to the offensive line, the Vikings have agreed to a one-year deal with former Denver Broncos’ offensive lineman Austin Schlottmann.
- The big splash came on Tuesday, 22 March, when the Vikings and edge rusher Za’Darius Smith came to terms on a three-year, $42 million contract.
- The Vikings have added to their secondary, inking former Green Bay CB Chandon Sullivan to a one-year deal.
- Add another new face to the offensive line for the Vikings, as they’ve signed former Indianapolis Colts offensive lineman Chris Reed to a two-year deal.
- Reed’s signing comes in addition to former Miami Dolphins’ offensive lineman Jesse Davis, who the Vikings signed to a one-year deal.
Vikings Re-Signing Their Own
- The Vikings have re-signed backup QB Sean Mannion to a one-year contract.
- Cornerback Patrick Peterson announced on his podcast that he will be returning for a second season with the Vikings, signing a one-year deal.
Vikings Signing With New Teams
- According to Adam Schefter, offensive lineman Mason Cole has agreed to a three-year deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- Safety Xavier Woods is also on his way out of Minnesota, as Josina Anderson reports he will be signing a three-year deal with the Carolina Panthers.
- As expected, tight end Tyler Conklin is leaving Minnesota, as he’s signed a three-year, $21 million deal with the New York Jets.
- Linebacker Nick Vigil is taking his talents to the desert, signing a one-year deal with the Arizona Cardinals.
Other Vikings FA News (Extensions, Restructures, Trades, etc.)
- The Vikings are releasing DT Michael Pierce after they could not come to terms on a contract extension or work out a trade for him. Pierce played in just eight games for the Vikings in 2021 because of injuries.
- The Vikings have restructured the contract of safety Harrison Smith in order to create $6 million worth of cap space.
- Wide receiver Adam Thielen has also agreed to restructure his contract to free up some money and keep him in purple for at least one more season.
- “Barring an unforeseen change,” the Vikings will be paying Danielle Hunter his $18 million roster bonus and keeping him as part of the team for the next couple of seasons.
- After the signing of Za’Darius Smith, the Vikings officially converted Hunter’s $18 million roster bonus into a signing bonus, allowing them to clear $13.5 million in space under the salary cap.
Keep this story bookmarked, folks. . .whenever the Vikings make any sort of moves, we’ll have them right here for you so you can digest the whole picture at one time.